Friday, December 29, 2006

Food


Eating is a pleasent necessity most of the time. However, we had been told a number of stories about the famous Kenyan (African, probably!) dish called ugali. It’s made of corn flour and water which they boil until it becomes a stiff porridge/mashed potatoe looking dish that the Kenyans eat with their hands. Our Swahili teachers called it “a tasteless cake”, and that’s really what it is. We were served ugali for the first time on the 23rd, along with boiled rice, some vegetables and a bit of meat. It’s not that it tastes bad, it just doesn’t taste anything. I’ll survive eating it a number of times, as long as I’m not forced to eat 0,5 kg of it each time, as they do. The very good news when it comes to food, is that Ingeborg and I have a nice little kitchen of our own where we can cook anything we’d like. Our stove and fridge are in perfect order, and so far we’ve made a number of successful dishes, such as scones, soup and salad. And we have plenty of yoghurt in the fridge, so I’m in no immediate danger of starvation. The pictureS show me having dinner at Josephine's house (can't remember if ugali is present at the table, I will look for a better picture of it anyway) and me shopping at Nakumatt, a gigantic food (and everything else, reminds me of Obs!) store in Kisumu.

No comments: