Monday, January 1, 2007

Wazungu friends

Welcome, 2007! We spent New Year's Eve together with a group of Americans who we met in Kisumu yesterday. I know, if I had read about two Norwegians going to Africa for a year, and they dicided to spend New Year's with other Westeners instead of friends from the local community, I would probably frown a bit. So I don't blame you if you do. But I have to admit that it was a relief to spend an evening like that with people who are not amazed by the colour of my skin, or by the fact that I had three beers, being a woman and all. I'm afraid I can't provide any pictures of our celebration though, not because dthey don't exist, but because I haven't taken the time to move the pictures from my camera to the memory stick. Laziness, in other words.

Happy new year to all of you, and it is my greatest wish to see as many of you as possible in Kenya during 2007!

1 comment:

nyhamn said...

Hi Mari!
And happy New Year!

Nice to read your blog and see what Kenya is like and that it seems that you like it there. Your uncle at Ås told me that you were leaving for Africa. Actually this wasn't a big surprise, considered that we were talking about you. I hope that you will get a nice time there.

In an “old” text on your blog I read that you’ve saved a lot of yoghurt. Did you know that it is possible to make your own? For a “surmelk”-lover like me, it tastes delicious like it is. But if you don’t like it that way, you can add whatever you want to make it tasty. Just mix 1/3 hot water, 1/3 cold water and 1/3 milk powder and add a spoon of already existing yoghurt. Then you pour it into a box or an empty glass of jam and let it stay room tempered till it is all made. (Over night is good in Cameroon)
Enjoy!

(This yoghurt is also best when it’s cold…)

Good luck with the work and everything.
Åslaug