Friday, February 9, 2007

Game night



I have played dozens of board games, card games and other games almost all my life, I love winning and hate losing (if you’ve ever played against me, you know…), and still, I had one of my best game experiences last week, playing a simple game of Ludo. Ingeborg and I invited our neighbours over for a traditional Norwegain game night on Wednesday. We knew that they had already got some board games from Norway, however, no one seemed to have explained to them how to play, something we wanted to change. We started of with the easiest one, Ludo. If you ever thought Ludo was a boring game - try to play it with someone who has never even rolled a dice before, let alone played a board game, and I promise you a great experience. How do you roll a dice? Which way are you supposed to walk on the board? Why can’t you walk backwards? Why can I only move the red ones? We spent a few minutes going through the basics, then answered millions of questions as they came up during the game. Their enthusiasm was incredible, their winner instincts unbelievable. I don’t think I’ve ever heard so much laughter and screaming at a game night, at least not when playing Ludo. Ingeborg and I had a fantastic time as well – giving away the joy of playing board games is great!

Inspired by the success with Ludo, the Norwegian girls decided to make up two more board games to give to the pupils at the boarding school. We made one each, on large posters. Not too complicated, like “stigespill”, where you try to reach a destination, and on the way you can jump backwards or forwards depending on which square you land at. We made them really big so that many people can play at the same time. Hopefully they won’t create hostility between winners and losers.

Pictures will come when the network allows me to upload it. Stay patient, I do.

No comments: